This morning I received an e-mail that stated I needed to have some little square pocket thing and a lanyard. I stared blankly at my screen for about 5 minutes, finally realized I had seen these things before, then realized I saw them in umm.. January. If you know me well, you know there is a good chance what I need is long gone. Lucky me, I have a drawer in my room filled with information from different races, which everything was in there. That's when I realized there had been message boards all this time that gave information... of course I decided to visit the message boards to learn all about my two biggest concerns-- staying comfy at night & public showers. (Yes, I have actually gotten to the point where I have learned I have to face my porta potty fear.)
Long story short, I came across this website, with this guy who has been doing the Breast Cancer 3 day for years.... and had some really funny tips, it was over 50 pages long, and now I feel like I am completely informed about what's going on.... I wanted to share some of the tips with you guys, not only because some of them made me laugh out loud, but also to get an insight as to what will be going on during those 3 days...
Oh and PS.... Less than $300 to go!!! :) :) :) Please continue to donate if you can! 14 days!!!
Here we go... tips from the 3day guy:
On Sleeping...
"Many people who are sharing a tent with a close friend or relative bring a queen size air mattress, which will take up most of the floor space of the tent. This is fine if you are comfortable spooning with your tent mate. If you don't know your tent mate, a queen size air mattress is a bit presumptuous"
On bags...
"This is not the Ritz Carlton. Your bag may be tossed. Your bag may be dragged. Your bag may be dropped. Your bag may be on the bottom of a pile of other bags. If your sleeping bag is strapped to the outside of your bag it is likely that it will get lost, torn, or soaking wet in a rain shower. Or maybe all of the above!"
"If your sleeping bag is lost or soaked, you will go to the Medical tent where you will get a Mylar space blanket. A space blanket is a thin sheet of Mylar (sort of like Christmas tinsel, in a big sheet). I can't think of many things worse than trying to sleep on the ground, wrapped in Christmas tinsel, let alone after having walked all day."
On Tenting...
"Since it's a charitable event, and not a fraternity party, you won't be randomly assigned a tent mate of the opposite sex."
"Co-ed tents are permissible but the tents are not soundproof, so quiet is highly recommended when it comes to conversation or ANYTHING ELSE you do in your tent with your tent mate."
"As soon as you put your tent up, place something inside of it. Otherwise, when a breeze comes up, your empty tent will fly across the field. There is nothing funnier than watching someone running across a field, chasing their bedroom."
On sleeping...
"Tents are not soundproof, if a person is snoring 3 tents away, you will still hear them quite clearly."
On walking....
Because so many people have asked me this:
"You are NEVER allowed to run on the route. It is dangerous for all walkers. If you are uncomfortable keeping to a walking pace, and feel you must run, this event is not for you."
On Hyponatremia...
"You have to drink both water and sports drink." <---- This I am not a fan of. "If you drink too much water and not enough sports drink, you are at risk of hyponatremia" (There was like 4 more paragraphs explaining why the pretzels and everything I have been doing isn't enough, so I guess I'll suck up the Gatorade for 3 days.)
After all this it was followed by 3 pages of what happens to you if you don't drink enough.... let me just say this, "hooking up to IV" was in there 4 times. Stacie will NOT be dehydrated at any point. We all know how I feel about needles. Yuck.
On Showering...
"Go eat before you shower. If you faint in the shower from not eating, I promise the crew members will whistle, Getting to know you, getting to know all about you, the entire time we remove your soapy body from the shower."
It's a walk, not a diet
"Think of the walk as the world's longest buffet line. You will probably be eating non-stop from the time you wake up until the time you go to sleep. If you thought you retained water in the past, you ain't seen nothing yet! It is non unusual to weigh SIGNIFICANTLY more on the Monday after your walk than you did on the day before your walk began, so stay off the scales!"
So, it was actually a lot funnier the first time I read it... so hopefully you did laugh a little... and if not... oh well, you were on facebook wasting time anyways in order to see this so I don't feel that bad. ;)
If you haven't yet... please... (you thought I was going to say donate) ;) .... send a letter or note or something before October 13th, we will receive it when we get down there, and I already know it will be of great encouragement when I'm attempting to set up a tent, sleep outside for the FIRST TIME EVER, take showers in a truck, get naked in front of lots of other people, use porta potties for the first time, and oh yeah, walk 60 miles! :)
Breast Cancer 3-Day Camp Post Office
ATTN: INSERT NAME OF PARTICIPANT
#370
880 Marietta Hwy. Suite 630
Roswell, GA 30075
<3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment