Wednesday, September 16, 2009

37 days, $570



Maybe I should start posting everyday :) Thank you for bringing me under the $600 level so quickly!

This morning I was looking at other 3days and basically I like to stalk to see what we are going to be doing, and I have yet to get through someones photo album without tearing up by the end. Which if you know me, is not normal at all. I don't cry. :)

I also realized I should share with you guys, especially ones who have already donated why (in more detail) that I am doing this walk. (And some of this story has been told me as I was so young).

My parents were married 10 years before they had me (I am the oldest). My dad's mom always teased my mom that she wanted a grandchild. I was born in 85 and was her one and only. I vaguely remember little things, like sitting in the car with my granddaddy when she went to the doctors (she had breast cancer), and stealing candy from her glass jar in their living room that she kept filled for when I snuck in there. I remember little parts of her being in a hospital bed in my grandparents bedroom and me having to leave the room sometimes for my mom and aunt to take care of her. As I got older I was filled in on details, my mom and I picked up and moved in with my grandparents right after I turned 3 so that my mom could help take care of my grandmother. She passed away in May of 1988.

All I really remember about her is the stories that I grew up on from my granddaddy. My favorite one was that he met my grandmother before he went into the service. She was actually ENGAGED and he still wrote letters to her throughout his time in the service and she eventually broke off her engagement and married him when he returned home.

As I got older, I experienced other people in my life who had breast cancer. My aunt, some of my friend's moms, while I was in college one of my mom's tennis partners lost the battle to breast cancer.

So how did I end up doing the 3day?

Last year I had some things going on in my life and I needed a new focus to distract me, so I decided I needed something that I hated to force me to be distracted. I chose running. I hate running. With a passion. My mom decided on her "bucket list" she wanted to have that she did a half marathon. So we jointly decided to sign up first for a 5k and work our way into it. Did I mention I hate running? :) When I started looking at all the races, I realized I didn't want to do any races that weren't benefiting something other than me running on the street for X amount of miles and crossing a finish line. So of course I chose a breast cancer race. This got me really into the raising money for breast cancer. I decided I wanted to do it again this year, but raise money for it.

A few months past (yes we did end up doing a half marathon, and it supported our troops!) and the Krispy Kreme Challenge, because I mean you have to do it once. :) But I came across the Breast Cancer 3day walk. I read a ton about it, and felt like not only will I be raising money for this, but I will actually be doing something hard that I have to put a lot of time and dedication into. Not to mention I have to sleep in a tent for two nights and use porta potties. I have never slept outside in my life and I have no idea what the inside of the porta potty looks like. Sadly enough, I was walking with Jenna the other day and asked her what one looked like, and she actually started describing a large blue and yellow thing that normally sits at construction sites. Apparently she thought I didn't even know what one looked like in general I stay so far away from any restroom that isn't located in my own house.

So, back to the story, I started my 3day journey with my grandmother in mind and my goal that I would contribute as much as I could to help end breast cancer. So that one day, there isn't a 3 year old little girl who only remembers her grandmother by stories told to her because her grandmother lost the battle.

2 comments:

  1. aww what a great but sad story!! :( im so excited and proud of you tho, youre doing an awesome thing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very touching story! You're doing a wonderful thing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete